To become certified, you must:
- Complete a background check
- Complete a minimum of 36 hours of Level 1 training
- Sign a volunteer agreement
- Achieve a 70% or better score on the final open-book exam
- Complete at least 24 hours of volunteer service within one year
Recertification is required annually to remain a Master Gardener Volunteer in good standing. To be recertified, you must complete 10 hours of continuing education and provide 24 hours of volunteer service.
The following programs offer a sample of the opportunities open to Master Gardener volunteers:
- Extension demonstration and community gardens
- Horticultural workshops
- Local garden clubs
- Newspaper gardening columns
- Youth groups such as 4-H, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.
If you are ready to get involved contact the Chippewa County UW-Extension Office, located in the Chippewa County Courthouse, Room 13, 711 N. Bridge Street, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729 or by calling 715-726-7950, Ext. 5.